[sf-lug] News that Microsoft is Buying GitHub (cleaner format)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jun 4 08:52:35 PDT 2018

Quoting aaronco36 (aaronco36 at SDF.ORG):

> Indeed, SF-LUG's own Rick M recently posted on another listserve [5]
> the similar idea to just move off of GitHub and to "jump ship" onto
> GitLab [...]

Just because there's room for confusion about this:

I _personally_ would not advocate moving one's data from one hosted
service run by a proprietary software company to another.  When I see a
proprietary hosted service like GitHub, my first thought is 'Are there
ways to achieve similar goals using _self_-hosting and entirely using
open source?'  Generally, if you look around, you find that people have
already crafted ways to scratch that itch.

GitLab, Inc. makes its money using an 'open core' business model,
offering two versions of its codebase to people wishing to self-host:
GitLab Enterprise Edition is proprietary and includes a number of
sweeteners coded in Go.  GitLab Community edition is MIT Licensed,
and is the basic codebase written in Ruby on Rails.  In addition,
GitLab, Inc. offers hosting of customers' codebases on its servers that
run GitLab EE, in competition to GitHub.