[sf-lug] changed subject: "To just do NAT router/gateway service"

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Apr 20 18:33:21 PDT 2018

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):

>     Well the way they do it is not friendly!
>     From <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1106240>

The person submitting that answer seems to have been somewhat
misinformed.  Cloudfare is not a piece of software installed on Web
sites to prevent spamming; it's a content delivery network and security
firm.

The commenter possibly was intending to refer to a protective CGI or
other piece of hardware or software provided by Cloudfare to its
Web-server-deploying customers, whose function is to detect when
incoming connections are arriving from IPs previously found to be
sources of malware, thus permitting the client Web sites to decide to
deny access to those IPs.

I am surmising that your IP address was on Cloudfare's blacklist as a
confirmed malware source.  Going by your prior postings, it appears you
agree with them, that your IP address _had_ been a malware source, on
account of your ADSL residential gateway having been compromised.

I'm not sure what degree of friendliness you expect from third-party
firms like Cloudfare at a time when your IP address -- if their report
is correct, and you appear to accept that it was -- had been spewing
noxious attack software aimed (probably) at vulnerable MS-Windows system
for (probably) some long period of time.

>> From what I can figure out cloudflare is
>> installed on web sites to prevent spamming.

Frankly, this in particular sounds like utter (and obvious) bullshit.  I
have no inside knowledge of how Cloudfare conducts its business, but, if
it did the above, they would lose their customer base immediately.

I'm amazed that you judged this crowdsourced Web-site posting from an
anonymous person to be definitive, completely aside from it being
obviously wrong.  How is it you decided this was credible?  Do you,
like, just believe whatever the first search result says?

Honestly, shouldn't you have started by reading up on what the firm
_does_, first?