[sf-lug] SF-LUG meets Monday, 19 March 2018

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Mar 12 15:22:13 PDT 2018

Hi LUGers,

     Hope everyone remembered the time change
back to Pacific Daylight Saving Time on the 11th
of March.  Hey i forgot it! Had to do it at 8 AM
on Sunday.

   SF-LUG meets every third Monday from 6 P.M. to 8 P.M.
and  every first Sunday from 11 A.M. to 1 P.M.
at the Cafe Enchante, 26th and Geary Boulevard.

     These meetings are usually lightly attended with a high for the
year so far of 7 members.   If you have a problem come along
and maybe we can help but if not we can usually find someone
who can.

So I have downloaded and check-summed the Ubuntu release
of 16.04.4 LTS in amd64 and i686 versions.  If anyone wants a
copy, let me know ASAP.

On Saturday the 10th I got a copy of Linux Pro Issue #208
As usual the news is slightly out of date but worth the
scan if for no more than Linux Torwalds' s rant about
Intel's stupidity and inaction.  Also the latest version
of Dell's Ubuntu laptop is described but it is beyond my
current means,

The Distributions of the month on a two-sided DVD
are Fedora 27 Workstation in 64 bit and Net BSD 7.1.1.
Articles include a Fedora Test drive and what is new
in 27.

Terminal Tuning which is Tips and tools for a better
BASH shell.
Reviews of 5 To-Do manager tools.
Yuno Host which is a Personal server for a private
Cloud.
Eelo which is a new smartphone and OS that reputedly
puts User Privacy first.
Servile Guardian about the use of the Protecli appliance
which is essential able to run a super router and firewall
service.
Rasp Pi Tricks-spice up your TV with Lightpack, a diy project.
BackBox a specialized Linux for Security Audits.
Regular articles about various matters including Zack's Kernel News.

LinuxVoice - maddog tells us about the Meltdown and
Spectre problems.
Features: "apt versus apt-get"- Do you know about the new
package manager?
DisplayCal which lets you get better displays on your Monitor.
Ocenaudio 3.3.6  which claims a better interface than Audacity.

Foss Picks;
Do you want another browser?  Might look at Otter Browser!
Need to take notes? Try Joplin which can be synchronized across
several platforms.
WeeChat 2.0 a terminal based IRC client.
Terminal search? Try ddgr which when installed will use
DuckDuckGo to search as well as any other search engine
adapted to this use.
Suplemon is a text editor with some unique features.
Mailspring is a desktop emai client which is a fork of
Nylas Mail which tried to bridge the Cloud-Desktop
divide.
Pioneer which is a version of the old Frontier-Elite
space adventure game.
SuperTuxKart 0.9.3 which is a racing game.
A Tutorial  on USB/IP which allows direct access to USB
drives attached to other computer on your network.
And more including lots of advertisements for DVD
collections of past issues of the various publication
that have accrued to Linux Pro publishers.

I have setup Delta Linux on a 64 GB Flash Drive and will
be happy to demonstrate it at the meeting.  I have to say
that it is not the system I would like to be using but it
is Linux.
     Delta Linux is designed to be portable from machine to
  machine via USB or SD card,  It stores changes on the media.
Go to the URL below to download and to read the instructions
about how to set it up.
<https://gosoftware.ddns.net/category/deltalinux/>
Go to a menu entitled "downloads" and you can get the MD5
sum.  You might have click on some inconspicuous links to
get to the instructions.  Find those links and read the
instructions which are not complicated.

Distrowatch was flooded lately with fresh releases of many
distributions.
Testing bootable DVDs:
   I got 4MLinux 24.0 which is no longer so compact
as previously but still has the same objectives.  It boots just find
and has useful tools and ways to get more.  It is the only distro
of the group to feature Opera as a browser.  It is a 32 bit
distribution.

     Then I grabbed a copy of KAOS 2018.03.  This was the most
different of all the KDE Plasma 5 users and lacked some tools
which I prefer to see.  No sign of Firefox much less
Thunderbird.  It does have Krita and the Calligra tools.The task
bar comes up on the Right hand side of the display.  But if you
find that annoying you can use the KDE Plasma facilities to
put the bar where ever you please.

     Siduction 18.2.0 Patience KDE 201803072323 came out the other
day and I have written the Iso file to disk and will have it at
the meeting.  By default it uses a menu launcher of icons,
but that is switchable to my preference of an old fashioned
menu.    It lacks Thunderbird trying to use KMail, VLC and
Krita, using a late version of LibreOffice but no games at
all.  It does have a good manual but has to be accessed
by Firefox.   Patience is the name of this version and it takes
some degree of patience to wait out its Debian typically
slow boot.  Looks lovely to me.  Of all the stuff I have
tried out and looked at this month it is the best I think
but then it is not PCLinuxOS64

     Ubuntu 16.04.4 in the 64 bit version still looks just like
Unity.  I don't care for this interface at all because it is
hard to find programs without a compact menu and searching
for what you want to use is a pain.  Usually I am able to find
the launcher window with icons for the rest of the stuff
but not today..  I did not bother with the 32 bit version
as I am sure it works properly

And next month Ubuntu 18.04 will be released.

If I have written about a distribution that you might
want a copy of please let me know so that I can
have time to get it on media for you.

I hope that some of us will show up next Monday
at the Cafe Enchante.  Jim Stockford will probably
be elsewhere.

     Bobbie Sellers.