[sf-lug] SF-LUG Meets Monday 15 January 2018

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Jan 8 20:26:22 PST 2018

Hi LUGers,

   SF-LUG meets every third Monday from 6 P.M. to 8 P.M.
and  every first Sunday from 11 A.M. to 1 P.M.
at the Cafe Enchante, 26th and Geary Boulevard.

     These meetings are usually lightly attended with a high for the
year so far of 7 members.   If you have a problem come along
and maybe we can help but if not we can usually find someone
who can.

   Additions to the distribution library.
     I might have mentioned it in the meeting notes but
we have the latest FatDog64 7.20 which is now more than
120 megabytes larger than the previous version.

     Also we have GeckoLinux version 4.23 which I
downloaded the night before the meeting and wrote
  to disk at the meeting.
       I got the KDE Plasma 5 version but it seems
that the OS and the Desktop manager are not
well integrated.  By this I mean that my standard
test of creating a new task bar while running live,
failed(!) locking up the computer or at least the mouse
  and keyboard.

     Now Gecko Linux has useful features including portability
with persistent memory on a Flash Drive so I will be getting
another version with Mate or XFCE tonight and when I
have a working version that does not fail with simple
adjustments to the virtual desktop I will be bringing it
to the next meeting which is what this short note is
about after all.
     The Mate version works fine.  I moved the  task bar to
the top of the screen and created a secondary bar on the left side.
For more information look at the <http://geckolinux.github.io/>

     I am considering trying out GhostBSD yes that is
Unix with some Linux compatibility and a desktop
manager that looks good.  It has a good review at
<https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20180108>
But sadly it could not be installed on the hardware doing
well in a virtual machine

         Well it seem as I only have left to say that
I hope I see some more of us at the next meeting.
     Have a good week and a week from today Monday
save some time and come to the Cafe Enchante in
the evening.

     Bobbie Sellers