[sf-lug] SF-LUG meets Monday 18 December 2017

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Dec 11 09:41:25 PST 2017

Hi LUGers,

   SF-LUG meets every third Monday from 6 P.M. to 8 P.M.
and  every first Sunday from 11 A.M. to 1 P.M.
at the Cafe Enchante, 26th and Geary Boulevard.

     These meetings are usually lightly attended with a high for the
year so far of 9 members.   If you have a problem come along
and maybe we can help but if not we can usually find someone
who can.

     Wednesday the 6th of December I went down to the
Fog City News and found a copy of Linux Pro issue 205.
Some of the news maybe out of date,  but it has two
article about Raspberry Pi projects.  One permits the
construction of a Cluster using a HAT (Hhardware Attachment
on Top) board.  The distributionw included on disk include
Knoppix 8.1 and Lubuntu 17.04 32 bit.
     Articles promote BitKey, 7 Hardware Analysis Tools,
Pony described as a Frisky new language for coding
concurrent operations,  What is New in Knoppix 8.1,
Maker Space features the previous mentioned Cluster
  and a Rasp Pi wireless access point, and smenu an easy
tool for command-line menus.
     LinuxVoice section has FOSSPick featuring Sysdig
and Stellarium, about learning Security at the Web
Security Dojo, SUSE travels to Prague for their
yearly soirèe, Phipps: Getting Serious about
Privacy,  Maddog on spreading the word about
FOSS and Tutorials on Devilspie2: Scripting
windows actions.  Linux Pro is supposed to now
include Ubuntu User but I haven't really seen
it yet.

     Added to the distributions is a fresh pair of puppies.
xenialpup 32 and 64 bit versions 7.5 compatible with
UEFI.  Check the release announcement at
<http://blog.puppylinux.com/?viewDetailed=00047>
As you might guess from the name, Ubuntu repositories
are important.

     ==================================

     Q4OS now has a method to install to Windows without
partitioning.  If you are interested you can learn about
this at:<https://q4os.org/dqa014.html>
     This ends up working like a dual-boot and you can
chose Linux or Windows at boot up.

     In Windows a file must be downloaded and run
before the installation of Q4OS Linux.  So anyone
wanting to use this to show Linux to a friend had
better read or print out the instructions then follow
them to the letter.
If anyone wants a copy of Q4OS to try this out
get in touch with me through the list.

     ==================================

     A new privacy centered distribution is out.  It is called
`heads' and has  386 and amd64 versions which I downloaded
yesterday.  It is meant to go on Flash media and to be booted
up whenever you need privacy.  As with several similar tools it
depends on access to TOR.  It was mentioned in the Distrowatch
Weekly newsletter for this week.
<https://www.distrowatch.com>
<https://files.dyne.org/heads/>

     If you get in contact with me I can put the two iso files
on a DVD for your further use but like the TAILS it would
be best if the users downloaded and verified it for themselves.

     This is the last meeting of 2017!

    First meeting of the New Year will be on
Sunday January 7, 2018.

     Happy Holidays!
     Hope to see some of us on Monday next week.

     Bobbie Sellers