[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes for Sunday December 3, 2017

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Dec 4 12:29:42 PST 2017

Hi LUGers,
     Wow a really big meeting today.

     I arrived at 10:40 AM and was happy to see Tom who had
arrived before me seated at the big table.  He wanted a copy
of Ubuntu 17.10 and after a search I found a disk but he had
some problems with it.
     I set up and had no problems getting online.  And while
some disks did not boot to a desktop I was able to get online
with all the disks that did get that far.
     Apparently the signin page has gone away.

     By 11:00 AM John S. and Michael Paoli had arrived.
Michael P. has a lovely big 17" Dell Precision Notebook.

      John S. kept trying different presumably bootable DVDs
and had trouble with many of them.  I assume this is due to
the differences between DVD RW drives.

     I had brought along a considerable variety of distributions
including Fedora 27, Parrot security lite 3.9 and should have had
Parrot full security 3.9 on hand, Kali 2017.3 which boots more
slowly than the Parrot security full but faster than Caine 9.0.
Debian 9.1, Ubuntu 17.10, Lubuntu 17.10 as well as the
16.04.3 versions, Void Linux 20170220, AntiX-17 and
of course Mageia 6 and my first choice PCLinuxOS64 2017.11
with KDE 5 and with Mate.  This is in addition to the Knoppix,
GPartEd, SuperGrub Disk2, and other tools.

         All the security releases have similar tools most of which
are beyond my understanding and which will likely stay there
unless I figure out that someone is messing with my systems
and router.  Then I might get motivated to look up the man
pages or online instructions.

     Now Void Linux and AntiX Linux both had problems booting.
Some of the failures may be due to the hardware which they
found as they tried to startup.

     11:15 Ken Shaffer and his wife showed up bringing
  along a mutual online friend, Alan S.  Alan like Ken
and myself is a former(?) Amiga user.  He may show
up in the future when he is in town.
     The big table was already full so a couple of the
square tables were brought up at the inner end of
the big table to accommodate the new arrivals.

     11:35 Michael, our Slackware user came in just for
a little company, coffee and discussion.

     11:55 against all hope Jim Stockford showed up
having borrowed his GF's car as she was out of town.
He basically ate his lunch at the Cafe. as did Michael P.

     12:00 Noon Aaron C. arrived returning the borrowed
Linux Pro magazine.

     12:20 Michael left having errands to run in good time.

     13:00 we packed up our equipment and left with Jim
giving Aaron a ride to his next stop and me a ride on home.

     The next meeting will be on December 18th.
     The first meeting of the New year will be on Sunday,
January 7, 2018.

     I hope the attendees will provide more details of
their activities if I have omitted exactly what they were
doing besides talking to each other.

     Well I hope to see someone in the week before Christmas
but I know it is a busy time of year.  My shopping was done
when I picked up a fresh pack of DVDs+RW and CDs RW
at the Best Buy.  I got them there because that is only shop
that I can reach that still is carrying these useful items.
When you see an late release that you want and come to
the meeting you are getting your gift from me.

     Happy Holidays To All Of US Linux Users.

     Bobbie Sellers