[sf-lug] After waking from suspend, USB devices are not recognized (Ubuntu 17.10)

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Thu Nov 23 09:04:09 PST 2017

Michael Shiloh writes:
> I noticed that my old mouse didn't work all the time, and figured it was
> time to replace the mouse. Then I had trouble programming some Arduinos,
> and figured I had a bad Arduino. It wasn't until my system failed to see a
> thumb drive that I finally realized the common element here: After waking
> from suspend, no devices plugged in to the USB ports are recognized.
[ ... ]
> $ lspci -nnk | grep -A2 USB
> 00:14.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP USB 3.0
> xHCI Controller [8086:9d2f] (rev 21)
>     Subsystem: Lenovo Sunrise Point-LP USB 3.0 xHCI Controller [17aa:2238]

Don't know how much this will help, but I had weird sporadic
problems with an external mouse on my Lenovo X201. After suspend it
would (seemingly) randomly stop working. I finally narrowed it down:
When it was docked but running on battery power, and only after a
suspend, the machine would stop listening to the mouse after a
period of inactivity. Unplugging and replugging the mouse would fix it,
as would clicking a mouse button, but simply moving the mouse did
nothing. I think it's some kind of Lenovo power management cleverness
(not), and since I notice you're also on Lenovo, it might be related.

I never did find a fix, so now I keep the X201 plugged in when it's
in the dock using the external mouse. Sounds like your problem is
worse, but knowing that Lenovo plays funky power management games
might help in searching for a solution.

        ...Akkana