[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting today, HP Compaq PC

acohen36 acohen36 at SDF.ORG
Mon Nov 20 10:02:02 PST 2017

Bobbie Sellers <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com> wrote at [1]:

> .. the HP Pavilion is toast!  I have the drive and some
> memory chips but not sure if anything there works.
> The portable drive in its new case is not seen by the Dell.
> That is where most of my iso files are stashed.
>
> Going to work on this, with mostly Linux tools and a screw
> drive but have to check the Craig's list for another
> small box or metal cased notebook.  ...

I'm planning on attending this evening's SF-LUG meeting, and also plan to
bring along with me a fairly "small box"; an HP Compaq dc5000 Small Form
Factor x86 PC [2].

This HP Compaq dc5000 SFF
+ is working fine
+ is available for *free* and is preferably for Bobbie S
+ has dual-boot Debian Stretch and Linux Mint 18.2 MATE
installed onto an 80GB EIDE/PATA hard drive
+ has a spare 80GB EIDE/PATA hard drive (tested fine)
+ has 4.0GB of DDR-400 PC-3200 SDRAM (memtest'ed fine)
+ has 6 available USB 2.0 ports and an extra installed
Intel 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet PCI card
+ has an internal CD-RW PATA drive (easily replaceable for
a DVD/DVD-writer drive)
+ comes along with its power cable, a keyboard, and a
mouse, but *not* a monitor
+ comes along with a external USB drive and a pair of
100GB+ ext3-formatted EIDE/PATA hard drives for
storing files/"iso files".

If Bobbie S accepts this (directly cc'd on this as well), then maybe it's
not too far off from what John S wrote at [4] ;-)

-A