[sf-lug] A problem of spacing with terminal

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Mon Aug 14 12:48:09 PDT 2017

On Mon, 2017-08-14 at 08:04 -0700, Daniel Gimpelevich wrote:
> On Mon, 2017-08-14 at 07:51 -0700, Bobbie Sellers wrote:
> > Well the whole display becomes a terminal and the spacing problem is
> > absent but
> > so is the possibility(for me) of getting back to the DE and continuing
> > to work on
> > the computer until I force a reboot.
>
> Alt/Left Arrow

I only now realize that the thread down from this message was off-list,
sorry. Alex's instruction of Alt/F7 is also correct, but not
identically: At the virtual console, Alt/F1 through Alt/F12(I think) go
directly to console numbers 1 through 12 if they exist, respectively,
while Alt/Right Arrow and Alt/Left Arrow wrap around up and down through
them all. The DE is usually, but not always, on console number 7, which
is usually, but not always, the last console, so if both are the case,
then Alt/Left Arrow and Alt/F7 would be equivalent after having pressed
Ctrl/Alt/F1. The Alt/Right Arrow and Alt/Left Arrow will not work in the
DE, and Alt/F1 through Alt/F12(or whatever) only work with Ctrl also
pressed, e.g. the Ctrl/Alt/F1 previously instructed.