[sf-lug] A problem of spacing with terminal

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Aug 14 09:15:42 PDT 2017

On 08/14/2017 08:13 AM, Alex Kleider wrote:
> On 2017-08-14 07:51, Bobbie Sellers wrote:

>>> What happens when you hit CTRL/ALT/F1 and get ?a 'real terminal'?-
>>> just curious.
>>>
>>     Well the whole display becomes a terminal and the spacing problem
>> is absent but
>> so is the possibility(for me) of getting back to the DE and continuing
>> to work on
>> the computer until I force a reboot.
>>
>>     bliss
>
> I don't know what a 'DE' is but will assume it's your graphical user
> interface.
     Desktop Environment and before I got into Linux I would have called
it a GUI
i.e. Graphic User Interface.   Now GUI go with specific tools from
ddcopy to LibreOffice.

> ALT/F7 will get you back.
     I will try to remember that.  But I have a lot to do so won't test
it for a while.

> I wasn't suggesting this as a solution but as a diagnostic step.  The
> fact that you have the problem in the graphical interface and not in
> the other will probably be of some help in identifying the problem.
> I look forward to reports of what happens if/when you follow Akkana's
> suggestions.
> I'm guessing what's in .profile and .bashrc would effect both the same
> but may well be wrong there.

     Well I will get to the .profile and .bashrc a bit later in the day.

     Thanks again for the advice.

     Bobbie