[sf-lug] A problem of spacing with terminal

Alex Kleider akleider at sonic.net
Mon Aug 14 08:13:28 PDT 2017

On 2017-08-14 07:51, Bobbie Sellers wrote:
> On 08/13/2017 09:24 PM, Alex Kleider wrote:
>> On 2017-08-13 21:03, Bobbie Sellers wrote:
>>> Hi LUGers,
>>>
>>>     I am having a problem with terminal windows in that the cursor is
>>> coming up
>>> on screen about 5 spaces to the left of where the typed characters
>>> will appear.
>>> This is somewhat annoying.
>>
>> What happens when you hit CTRL/ALT/F1 and get ?a 'real terminal'?-
>> just curious.
>>
>     Well the whole display becomes a terminal and the spacing problem
> is absent but
> so is the possibility(for me) of getting back to the DE and continuing
> to work on
> the computer until I force a reboot.
>
>     bliss

I don't know what a 'DE' is but will assume it's your graphical user
interface.
ALT/F7 will get you back.
I wasn't suggesting this as a solution but as a diagnostic step.  The
fact that you have the problem in the graphical interface and not in the
other will probably be of some help in identifying the problem.
I look forward to reports of what happens if/when you follow Akkana's
suggestions.
I'm guessing what's in .profile and .bashrc would effect both the same
but may well be wrong there.