[sf-lug] NEED INFO ABOUT BOOT SECTOR, SPACE LIMITS

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jul 31 10:58:54 PDT 2017

Quoting Alex Kleider (akleider at sonic.net):

> My question is why all the '^M's and '^['s?  (..representing control
> characters I assume.) The output would be better off without them,
> me thinks.

As Akkana clarifies, this is part of the price one pays for script
logging _all_ terminal I/O, every bit including the control characters.
The man page does warn about this:

  BUGS
       Script places _everything_ in the log file, including linefeeds and
       backspaces.  This is not what the naive user expects.

On the plus side, there would be times where you'd be literally unable
to solve problems without the complete output.  And, you can always
strip control characters if you don't want them / find them annoying,
whereas you cannot add them back very well if they're missing up-front.