[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes for Sunday July 2, 2017

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Sun Jul 2 21:30:42 PDT 2017

Hi LUGers,

     I arrived at the 26th Street & Geary signal crossing as Maestro
was entering the Cafe Enchante.

     Maestro arrived first at about 10:45 AM.  He chose to set
at the large table.
     I followed him a minute later about 10:46 AM  I had no real
problems setting up the computer,
     Right after 11:00 AM a group members including Michael, John S.
Ken Shaffer and his wife,

     ~11:25 AM Tom showed up.

        12 Noon Joseph showed up.

       Ken brought along a small box of electronic bits and pieces
including, a toy camera, an old Motorola cell phone, some power
supplies and some other rather tired bits and pieces.  This was passed
around to all the present members but I don't know if anyone took
anything.
      So later Maestro was getting help from Ken with his installed
distribution.  I believe he took along a Bodhi 4.2 disk to try an
install.

     John S.  tried a FreeDos Disk but was not prepared to install it.
        FreeDOS is 23 Years Old and 4 cool facts about it are at the URL
below.
<https://opensource.com/article/17/6/freedos-still-cool-today>
     When MS announced that DOS  would be removed from
an upcoming release the main author started working on it
and it is still being developed.   It is really a wonderful project.
so read the article.   Especially if you decide you have 40 megabytes
free.  So read the install notes in the Wiki link.

     Tom got busy doing updates and when the rest of us left he
remained still working on the updates.  I supplied him with the
latest version of the SystemRescueCD 5.0.2.  He does not have
an Internet connection at his home.

     About 11:30 I started installing Debian 9 EduLinux or SkoleLinux.
As I mentioned this was from a 16 GiB Flash Drive to which i had
copied the 5.4 GiB iso file.
     I don't know how well I did because it finished just before 12:45 PM
and of course it was nearly time to leave so I just rebooted at the end of
the Install to make sure it was up and found it used KDE's Plasma 5.
I used the graphical install as I was putting it on the Dell which has
at least 3 other OS on board.
     And I have to say when you are selecting which installation will
be used and it offers about 6 choices I picked Workstation.  The server
has no GUI, and the LSTP (sic)server needs 2 ethernet cards.  It also
installs in stand alone mode, Workstation and Roaming Workstation.
I found the partitioning section confusing and only got through it
because I had picked out the partitions in advance.

     Micheal left about 12:05 PM due to restlessness.

     John S. left shortly after 12:30 PM.

     12:40 I started packing up.

     Ken left about 12:50 PM

         1 PM I finished packing up and left about the time that Joseph and
Maestro left.

     So the next meeting will be on Monday 17 July from 6-8 PM.
     Hope some of us will make it.  The regular notice will be out
on 10 July if I can find the time....  ;^)

     And of course if any attendees care to make emendations to the
the above note do so ASAP so that erroneous ideas do not linger
long in the readers' memories.

     Bobbie Sellers aka bliss "running light (as well as fast)" on
PCLinuxOS64-2016.03
GNU/Linux 4.11.8-pclos1 #1 SMP Thu Jun 29

     P.S. 6 PM+    So the Debian 9 install fixed my Grub2 installation
on the Dell.  It installs a text menu using a text size that is hard to
read on the  1800 x 900 display of the Dell.
     Then I went to the PCLinux64 OS 2017.06.20 and did 150 updates
Now on the Mageia 6RC and doing about 120 updates.  I did the
updates on PCLinux64 OS 2016.03 this AM before the meeting..
     Back to Debian and found some deficits after installing VLC it
  would not run.  GCompris Administration missing.  I guess I will
have to read the instruction carefully and hope I do not have to
do a re-installation of the whole thing,  No KDE Settings menu
found so far.
     I was able to set up the task panels in my accustomed format.