[sf-lug] SF-LUG meets Sunday 2 July 2017

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Jun 26 13:19:48 PDT 2017

Hi LUGers,

    SF-LUG meets every first Sunday from ~11 A.M. to ~1 P.M.
and every third Monday from ~6 P.M. to ~8 P.M.
at the Cafe Enchante, 26th and Geary Boulevard.
Now with the meeting so close to the Independence Day Holiday
I do not expect a lot of people to show up but I will be there
unless the cafe is closed

      These meetings are usually lightly attended with a
high for the year so far of 7 members.   If you have a
problem come along and maybe we can help but if not we
can usually find someone who can.

    So I have downloaded and verified via checksum the
debian-edu-9+edu0-USB.iso.   USB there means that the
iso file is 5.4 Gibibytes so best to put it on an 8 GiB
or larger Flash device.  I have it on such a Flash device
and if it passes booting tests will have it at the next
meeting and if you bring media I will be happy to copy
it over.   By media I mean memory card SD or Flash Drive.
he time to write the iso file to a double capacity DVD
would simply be too long.  A small external hard drive
would work though I guess. There is a a 32 bit version of
this as well I believe.

      In addition I have a **PCLinuxOS64-kde5-2017.06.20.iso
which will be going on the Dell test bed.

      And of course SystemRescueCd-x86-5.0.2 or later if it comes
out in time.  5.0.2 was out when I was unable due to other
pressures to get the latest system written to CDs in time for
the meeting.  I have made several copies by updating disks
which had been at 5.0.1.   Anyone who wants this disk
should get in touch so that I can have a copy saved for
you.

      Oh yes the question at Cafe Enchante meeting has been
raised about moving utilities such as SystemRescueCD to
Flash drive and it seems that the cheapest Flash Drives
are the so-called Key system which have no way to protect
the contacts.  I have seen such Key in use at meetings in
the past and wondered about the durability of such.
In case I am unclear I believe this URL will illustrate the
general form factor referred to as Key.
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-Ten-1GB-USB-2-0-Flash-Drive-Metal-Key-Flash-Memory-Stick-Memory-Pen-Gold/401054566123?rt=nc&_soffid=5031047304&_soffType=OrderSubTotalOffer&_trksid=p5731.m3795>

      And yes it would cost more so some way of dealing with
that aspect must be found.  I cannot see getting the sort of
device that might be useful for less than $3.50/unit.  I can
afford to give away the CDs and DVDs but the Flash Drives
are beyond what I can afford.  If the folks who are interested
would bring their own Flash media I could probably get a few
done at a meeting.

Other downloads:
     debian-live-9.0.0-amd64-kde.iso
Looks nice but loses the DVD when you try a graphical install.

   ** pclinuxos-kde5-2017.06.20.iso
No big changes as far as I can see but when installing it only
gave me a very small window for the custom partitioning on the Dell.

OpenMandrivaLx.3.02-PLASMA.x86_64.iso  Well I may try it later
this week but running short on time.

ultimate-edition-5.5-x64.iso has been downloaded for DVD
but they have a Bluray version as well.  People who have
a Bluray drive in their machine likely have the speed
to download this themselves...  Now why bother with
Ultimate assembled by "TheeMaan" since I don't play games
but he says in the release notes that a OS assembler
that can produce 3,000 Operating Systems is included.
That excites my curiosity enough.

	So I hope I will see some of us at the next
meeting a week from today.

	Bobbie Sellers