[sf-lug] SF-LUG web site is being "maintained" ... Noisebridge, ... Re: SF-LUG meeting notes

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Tue Jun 20 18:09:59 PDT 2017

Well ... in not necessarily any particular order ...

Noisebridge ... dissing?  I wasn't there, but I'd hardly guestimate
that was the case.  Due to various problems Noisebridge has had, it
members only - plus those under escort of a member.  So, if you're
expecting Noisebridge members who may have no SF-LUG affiliation to
escort SF-LUG folks who are not Noisebridge members, that's expecting
a relatively undue burden of Noisedbridge folks.  I believe Jim
Stockford is a member of Noisebridge, but I don't know if any other
SF-LUG folks are ... or are who also regularly or semi-regularly
go for the Linux discussion group thingy at Noisebridge.  So,
what's SF-LUG done lately for Noisebridge?  Anything to reasonably
hope/expect for free use of space and some person's time to provide
required watch/escort - particularly when they may rather be doing
other things there?

SF-LUG website.  There are multiple folks that have access to update the
page ... seems about never that anyone else does it.  Y'all might want to
take an interest in it.  ;-)  Anyway, I'll follow-up on that *real soon*
(like overnight or so) on who's got access.  Other folks can also gain
access - at least if Jim Stockford generally approves (or at least
doesn't object).  I'd prefer, however, that folks I bother to set up
such access for, actually use it to help maintain the page(s) there or
whatever.  Many folks I've set up access and they can't be bothered to
login, let alone maintain a web page ... just sayin'  ;-)  And if you
think you're gonna use some Microsoft web page publishing thingy to
upload the pages using FTP, please don't bother me.  For numerous reasons
FTP isn't run on the server.  One needs understand how to login via ssh,
use sudo, and edit a file in a Linux/Unix* environment.  If you can't do
that, please learn how before bothering to have me create an account for
you (not that that's an issue with all that have gotten accounts, but it
sometimes happens.  8-O).  And yes, I've given sessions on ssh(1) and vi(1)
before - probably have covered both at BALUG in the past.

*or at least how to transfer it and edit it properly elsewhere if need be,
including dealing with access and permissions and sudo.

references/excerpts: