[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes for Sunday May 7, 2017 (Bobbie Sellers)

acohen36 acohen36 at SDF.ORG
Mon May 8 08:29:10 PDT 2017

Some emendations to Bobbie S's meeting notes.

Bobbie Sellers <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com> wrote:
> 11:10 Ken Shaffer and Assuna his wife showed up.
> Ken talked a lot to Tom T. assisting him with the
> Ubuntu install.

I think Ken S and Tom T were trying to resolve one of two possible stages
of the Ubuntu boot process: 1) resolving an issue with U/EFI BIOS booting
and 2) fixing one or more GRUB boot-management entries. Please feel free
to correct this if I'm badly mistaken here.

Bobbie Sellers <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com> wrote:
> 11:20 Aaron showed up and got the copy of Kali
> 17.0 amd64 to use later.

Yep, but wish to use that amd64 Kali on a Dell OptiPlex 745 which
continues to sporadically Segfault probably b/c of one or more
"dirty"/defective RAM DIMMs (or their connections to the motherboard
slots.) Am planning to first dust-clean-dust the RAM contacts, and then
replace all the RAM DIMMS with Known Working DIMMS to test, before
attempting use of that Kali DVD.

Bobbie Sellers <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com> wrote:
> John S. is trying to get rid of his Raspberry Pi
> and Aaron seems interested.

Nope, not really so interested after all (unless the RPi is to be
practically _given_ away.) Turns out that John S's Pi is an RPi2, and I
already _have_ a combo of several RPi3's and RPi1-B's. While Rpi1-B's are
obviously slow in performance compared to RPI3's, the former offer me the
benefit of having that RCA video connector allowing me to easily use them
with most televisions both of the present and of the recent past.

Bobbie Sellers <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com> wrote:
> After 12 Noon Mike showed up and got copies of
> System Rescue CD and I burned him a fresh copy
> of Super_Grub2 Disk.   He and John S, talked more
> and both talked to Ken.

I think John S was also trying to update/upgrade his HP laptop having
Zorin Linux 11 installed. As Zorin is Ubuntu-based, it is also based on
parent distro Debian. Therefore, I suggested that John S use Debian's
basic 'apt-get' tools. Apparently John S was able to accomplish what he
needed to by performing an 'apt-get upgrade'. Again, please correct this
if I'm badly mistaken here.

Cheers,
-A

acohen36 at sdf.org