[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes for April 17, 2017

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Tue Apr 18 21:27:23 PDT 2017

Hi LUGers,

     Well Monday evening at the Cafe Enchante we had a small but active
meeting.

     Tom T., Mikki Mc., and Maestro had beaten me to the Cafe but I
managed to find
some space to setup at the large table.  No problems with my equipment
once I remember to switch on my wireless.
     Two medical students very politely gave up the space at the large
table to
sit at a smaller table as they discussed their studies.

     Maestro was helping Mikki configure the Ubuntu 16.04.2 newly
installed on
her Asus PCeee.  It was running nicely.  I showed her how to import old book
marks into Firefox.  But Maestro was much more involved with the
configuration
effort than I.

     Tom T. had acquired a used Dell Inspiron running version 10 of
the always colorful MS program launcher on an AMD A6.
     I had a System Rescue disk version 4.9.5 for Tom.
     Later in the meeting I showed Tom how to shrink the installed
partition using the built-in Tools of version 10 of the colorful MS
program launcher.  This is so he can find the space to install a
Linux distribution.
     Unfortunately Tom got caught in a MS update.  So we were
not able to partition the space made available.

     Around 7 PM both Maestro and Mikki left.  She has
problems with bus connections to Brisbane so I was not
surprised.
     At 7:45 PM I started to pack up the disks and equipment.
I had hauled into the meeting.

     I left about 8:05 PM to catch a #38 bus to my 'hood.
     Tom was still waiting for that MS update to conclude.
     (He has to use it at work.)

     Next meeting is on May 7, 2017 from 11 AM to 1 PM.
     You can expect my usual notice of that meeting out on May 1st.

     Meantime Ubuntu 17.04 has been released in all its variety.
     If someone wants copy of using a specific DE let me know
otherwise I will download no more than I have which is
Ubuntu Mate 17.04 AMD64.  I suppose everyone has heard
that Version 18.04 will be using Gnome 3.2.4 and that
Unity and Mir have been abandoned by Canonical.

     Hope you all enjoy the Spring...

     Bobbie Sellers