[sf-lug] distro for an ageing laptop

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Mar 25 20:49:22 PDT 2017

> On Sat, 2017-03-25 at 19:45 -0700, Alex Kleider wrote:
> > This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU:
> > pae
>
> I started reading this thread only a few minutes ago, from the
> beginning, and I knew from the first message that further down the
> thread I would see the above. I too need an answer to the question this
> thread was started to ask....

Your answers to the 'PAE-not-present, installing *buntu' question are here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PAE

Alex (& Daniel and any others), try first the extra boot-time parameters
mentioned a the top of that page.  Basically, some Pentium M CPUs are
capable of PAE operation despite not issuing a 'pae' CPU flag.

The page also lists other workarounds, in case that doesn't work.

Or, of course, you can install a distro whose IA32 edition's installer
images offer a non-PAE installation kernel, hence don't require PAE.
There are many, many.