[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes for Sunday March 5, 2017

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Sun Mar 5 18:43:19 PST 2017

Hi LUGers,

     Well I arrived at the Cafe Enchante about 10:40 AM.
Tom was already there and setup, working on his system.

     He was also there after I left with Jim S. close to 1 PM.
Tom said he had decided to eat there as he continued to work.

     Eventually we got the large table for the use of the LUG.
But when I showed up we had a basic tutorial for a child by
an older sister or mother about use of what was likely an
iPad, going on there across from Tom.
     I setup next to Tom but after the tutorial ended I moved
across the table next to Maestro.

     10:55 Maestro came in replacing the tutorial.
and continued to work as did Tom after 1 PM.

     John S. came in with a cap on and I nearly did not
recognize him.  It was good to see him again.

     Ken S. followed with his wife and helped nearly
everyone who had come to the meeting.  Ken left about
12:40 PM.

     Aaron C. made it in by 11:30 and you have all seen his
message about the 17 inch notebook he wants to sell at a
very reasonable price.  He left about 12:40 PM.  He also
paid John S. the balance of the price of the machine he
had bought last year.

     Daniel G. arrived about 12:40 and he had been searching
for a parking space for about 35 minutes and ended up
on 30th Avenue.  He had come if for no other reason to
return the parts machine I had lent him.  Jim gave him
a ride back to his car and then he handed me back the
Dell parts machine.

     Jim S. came in about 12:45  and I was finally able to
give him a Ubuntu LTS update version 16.04.2 for his
machine.  Sadly he has been having problems with it
lately.  He unlike myself does not seem to like to work
with the problem to resolve it.

     I spent most of the meeting offering what little help
I can to anyone who showed up.  Otherwise I had my
Dell installed freshly with PCLinux OS64 2017.03, the
second release of PCLinuz OS of the year.  The system
comes with lots of good software that I might otherwise
have to download,
     The good stuff is KWrite and Kate my text editors,
Master PDF Editor 4, Krita, Firefox and Thunderbird, and if you want it,
LibreOffice 5.3 which involves a download as does the Virtual Box
suite.  It is using KDE Plasma 5.8.6 as
well as Linux Kernel 4.9.13.  KDE Plasma it is a bit more finished with
functions added to the digital clock for picking a calendrical system
but still no time or date copy function.
The editors, Kate and KWrite, mentioned above, still lack plugins to
permit file insertion.
     I was in a rush yesterday when I installed it and left
the machine to do the partitioning.  It ended up with a
50 Gigabyte root partition and a 400+ home partition.
     This works well enough I guess for people who only
want one install of Linux on their machine but I usually
have 3 or more systems installed on the Dell.  So I am
redoing that install this evening to give me more partitions
and have less material in a smaller root partition.

     It is interesting that this is the largest meeting, with
8 members in attendance, over the last year.  This despite
the rather miserable weather.

      Jim thankfully was able to give me a ride home.

     Don't forget Daylight Saving Time resumes on
12 March.
     Happy Saint Patrick's Day and watch out for the
snakes.

     The next meeting at the Cafe Enchante is on Monday
March 20, 2017, and I will make my usual posting about
the next meeting on Monday the 13th of March if not sooner.

     We have Lubuntu LTS in 32 and 64 bit versions if anyone
needs an update as well as the same in Ubuntu.  Anything
you want might be found if you let me know in good time.

     Well I am sure Tom and Maestro will fill us in on their
activities if they feel like writing.  Anyone else can fill
in the vital activities they were pursuing during the meeting
if I have left too much out.

     Bobbie Sellers