[sf-lug] SF-LUG meets Sunday March 5, 2017

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Feb 27 08:10:19 PST 2017

Hi LUGers,

   SF-LUG meets every first Sunday from 11 A.M. to 1 P.M.
and every third Monday from 6 P.M. to 8 P.M.
at the Cafe Enchante, 26th and Geary Boulevard.

     These meetings are usually lightly attended with a high for the
last year so far of 7 members.   If you have a problem come along
and maybe we can help but if not we can usually find someone
who can.

     I have not so far added anything to the distribution library since
the previous meeting.
     I will note that for the intense FOSS hobbyist a new version of
Linux from Scratch is out as well as several Unix variants and firewall
distros.  Kubuntu 17.04 is out in Beta as are a bunch of other spins
but not Ubuntu nor Ubuntu-Mate.

     Last Friday I managed to get to the Fog City News and buy a
copy of Linux Pro Magazine Now Featuring Linux Voice for
February 2017 Issue #195
     Distros of this issue are Fedora 25 Workstation Live
  and openSUSE leap 42.42 Install only.

     Articles cover: Network Storage Distros,
     Open Media Vault turning you Rasp Pi into a NAS Device.
     Gnu Social (Social Networking meets Free Software),
     Surveillance Video Tools, Plasma 5.8
     Nils Brauckmann, SUSE's CEO interview on the future in
the cloud.

         In the Linux Voice section we have a good selection as
well.  Discussion of Microsoft joining the Linux Foundation,
       GoboLinux which uses a somewhat different file hierarchy,
      nftables to replace iptables, and
      Linux Auditing tools.

         Foss Picks:  Darktable for photo processing,
         KDE Connect  to keep Android and Linux devices in sync.

         Tutorials:  Intrusion Detection,
         Home Storage with Nextcloud.

     And more which I have not mentioned.
     I have copied the openSUSE user guide.pdf and may try to install it
on the
Dell.  I have already gotten useful information and oS may be useful to some
folks.  More later, a choice in the DEs not seen since Mandriva 2010.

     Hope to see some of us at the Cafe Enchante next Sunday.

     Bobbie Sellers