[sf-lug] Brother MFC Printer drivers installed

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jan 3 03:13:37 PST 2017

Quoting Jon Lam (jonplam at gmail.com):

> Hi,
>
> I am not sure how to scan a document from one of these devices to my Fedora
> laptop.  Does anyone have any recommendation?
>
> scanimage -L returns device `brother4:net1;dev0' is a Brother MFC-L2700DW
> MFC-L2700DW
>
> How do I use this utility?

Jon, I notice you didn't actually state

o  What make/model of multifunction printer/scanner you have.
   One infers from the 'scanimage -L' output that you have a
   Brother model MFC-L2700DW.  Is this correct?

o  How you are connecting to it -- USB, wired LAN, or wireless LAN.
   If you are using a network connection, you probably need to
   configure the multifunction Brother device to use a
   static IP address that you assign to it, and that is on the
   same IP network as your Linux laptop.  In any event, please
   detail what connection method you are trying to use.

_If_ this is a Brother MFC-L2700DW, then, according to
http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadhowto.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcl2700dw_us_eu_as&os=127&dlid=dlf006648_000&flang=4&type3=564,
the scanner portion of your multifunction device requires the
'brscan4' SANE driver (driver for the SANE scanning software
framework).  This should be provided by Fedora's package of the same
name.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SANE#For_Brother_hardware has some
practical suggestions, especially for scanners you wish to reach over
the network:

  For network scanners, Brother provides a different configuration tool
  for each brscan version (eg. brsaneconfig2 for brscan2 compatible
  devices):

  # brsaneconfig2 -a name=<ScannerName> model=<ScannerModel> ip=<ScannerIP>

  Example:

  # brsaneconfig2 -a name=SCANNER_DCP770CW model=DCP-770CW ip=192.168.0.110

  Network Scanning

  In case of network scanning, e.g. by WiFi, Sane may still be unable to
  find the scanner. If so, you need to specify the IP address of the
  scanner in the /etc/sane.d/net.conf file.

  Now use scanimage --check-devices to check whether sane is able to find
  your scanner. If not, further check that Sane expects this device
  through the network
  (see http://neithere.net/2013/02/18/archlinux_brother_7860.html).
  Check that /etc/sane.d/dll.conf contains brotherX, where the X
  stands for the brscan version from above. If nothing was found,
  add brotherX to the end of the file.

Above is from the Arch Linux wiki, which is a very generally useful wiki
for users of any Linux distribution, although of course some of its
contents will end up being specific to Arch Linux rather than your
own Linux distribution.

(See the wiki page, as it has cleaner and clearer formatting.)