[sf-lug] server reboot

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Sun Jan 1 08:10:48 PST 2017

Michael Paoli writes:
> Unless I'm in some great rush, I'm often more inclined to
> do something like:
> # (cd / && umask 022 && echo 'shutdown -r +2' | batch)

Lots of interesting answers, but I'm curious about the original problem.

Usually, when I ssh into a machine and reboot it remotely, it
disconnects and puts me back in my local shell. I have occasionally
seen the behavior described in the original post, where the remote
shell just hangs and ssh doesn't disconnect, and I've always
wondered what the difference is in those cases, and why ssh isn't
detecting the disconnect.

When that happens, I type ~. which tells ssh to break the connection
and exit. So far that's always worked for me.

        ...Akkana