[sf-lug] server reboot

Alex Kleider akleider at sonic.net
Sat Dec 31 11:43:32 PST 2016

I've been playing around with a Raspberry Pi as a server on my local
network.
It's headless and I use ssh to log on.
When ever I want to do a reboot (# shutdown -r now), rather than the
connection being lost and my local prompt appearing (as happens when I
do an 'exit,') my terminal window simply freezes and I have to close it
forcibly and open another.
This doesn't seem to me to be the way it should be done.
Has any one any suggestions as to the 'right way'?
thanks,
Alex
PS I've tried using screen and simply detaching from the frozen screen:
that saves me from having to forcibly shut down my terminal but leaves
me with a 'frozen screen' in the list of 'screens' to which I can
reattach.  Also not very elegant, me thinks.