[sf-lug] pfSense, Void Linux, Salutations, and Other Meeting Notes (was Re: SF-LUG meets Sunday January 1. 2017 - Happy New Year!)

Antonio Malcolm antonio.malcolm at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 09:22:47 PST 2016

Thanks for the kind intro, Bobbie!

I recently moved the Linux install, with the pfSense VM, from a Shuttle
XPC to a Supermicro mid-tower (moved the physical disk over).

All that was required, to get it up and running again, was
checking/updating the bridged network configs, in the VirtualBox VM
settings, and making sure the VB-assigned MAC addresses match the WAN
and LAN in pfSense- for the most part, pfSense detects this well enough
on its own, as it does during install. It's been quite the resilient setup.

pfSense as a VM has now worked fairly well, across three machines and
two different host OSs (first host was OS X, on a Mac Mini Server, with
a Thunderbolt to gigabit adapter, as the second NIC).

I'm interested in hearing your experiences wth setting this up.

For folks interested in giviing Void a spin, you can have a look here:

http://www.voidlinux.eu/

If you want to give it a spin, in VirtualBox, a Vagrant box can be had,
here:

https://atlas.hashicorp.com/antonio-malcolm/boxes/base-void-x86_64

(There are also two LAMP boxes, however Void moved to GCC 6, soon after
they were built- the base box, linked above, was updated soon after that
update. While the LAMP boxes work well enough, I'll soon be rebuilding
those against the updated base.)

For folks who enjoy Openbox pipemenus, and/or tinkering with ACPI
handlers, Corgi Scripts can be had here:
https://github.com/antonio-malcolm/corgi-scripts

Happy New Year!
~Antonio