[sf-lug] Are there two different models of X1 Carbon 4th gen (upgradeable and non-upgradeable)?

Michael Shiloh michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 18:12:28 PST 2016

This is crazy and I'm confused. Turning to you for some sanity check:

You remember last week I raised the question of whether RAM and SSD
could be upgraded on the X1 Carbon 4th gen. The prevailing evidence
was that the RAM is soldered on to the motherboard, and that the SSD
is socketed and can be changed by the user.

However when I called sales support at Lenovo I was told that the RAM
too was upgradeable, but only if I order the customizable option.

What is the customizable option I asked? Sales support told me that if
I select the "customize" option instead of one of the fixed
configurations I get a physically different model that has a socket
for the RAM instead of the RAM being soldered on to the board.

I've never heard of this before, and I've spent quite a bit of time
researching this product on websites and forums.

What do you folks think?

Michael