[sf-lug] expanding Europe's Linux Presentation Day to the US (Hauke Laging)

aaronco36 aaronco36 at linuxwaves.com
Sat Dec 10 19:24:08 PST 2016

Hauke Laging <hauke.laging at linux-presentation-day.org> wrote at [00]:
> in May 2015 Berlin's Linux user group (BeLUG) has started a
> new type of event which has spread quickly all over Europe:
> the Linux Presentation Day (LPD)
>
> 2015.1: Berlin only
> 2016.1 & 2016.2: 120+ cities in 15 countries
> 2017.1: first locations outside Europe (Canada, New Zealand,
> probably more)

"new" type of event??
I rather see several important similarities between LPD and
the _previously_ established international Software Freedom
Day (SFD); see [01].

Here is a description of SFD, quoting [01]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Software Freedom Day (SFD) is an annual worldwide celebration
of Free Software. SFD is a public education effort with the
aim of increasing awareness of Free Software and its virtues,
and encouraging its use.

Software Freedom Day was established in 2004 and was first
observed on 28 August of that year. About 12 teams
participated in the first Software Freedom Day. Since that
time it has grown in popularity and every year we have more
than 300 events organized by over 100 cities from the world.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You may wish to compare the international reach of SFD 2016
here[02] with that of the last several years' Linux
Presentation Day here[03].
While there were no registered events in Hauke Laging's
Berlin itself for Software Freedom Day 2016, however there
_were_ SFD events in the far-distant German cities of
Offenburg and Kiel; see [04] and [05] respectively.

Hauke Laging <hauke.laging at linux-presentation-day.org> wrote at [00]:
> The aim of the LPD towards the general public is to provide
> biannual and comprehensive information events about Linux
> for private users who would like to get a first impression
> of Linux.
>
> The aim towards the media is to make the event so big (both
> nationally and internationally) that the nationwide non-IT
> media cover it regularly.
>
> The aim towards the Linux community is that an LPD event can
> be so small and easy to organize (even without costs) that
> really everyone can try to organize an event with good
> chances of success. The local organizers decide on their own
> what their event shall be like; we just make suggestions and
> offer support.

You all may also wish to compare the 'aims'[06] and
'concept'[07] sections of LPD's international web site [08]
with that of SFD's 'About' page [09].
IMHO, they seem more alike than different.

FWIW, I myself am a little bit surprised that the 'similar
events' section[10] _doesn't_ list the annual worldwide
celebration of Software Freedom Day -- as SFD _has_ been
around for a longer period of time than LPD :/

-A