[sf-lug] expanding Europe's Linux Presentation Day to the US

Hauke Laging hauke.laging at linux-presentation-day.org
Sat Dec 10 12:56:54 PST 2016

Hello,

Am Samstag, 10. Dezember 2016, 20:24:58 CET schrieb jim:

> * advertising a SF-LUG participation event either
>    on one of our regular meeting days or on some day
>    that BeLUG and other LPO honchos specify (or both).

the interested organizations in the US will agree on an "official" date for the
US in April or May. But it is not a requirement to use that date. Obviously
you will never have a date that everyone is happy with. If that date doesn't
work well for you then you should rather chose one afterwards than before.

> * doing some kind of pre-meeting/event prep to have
>    DVDs available along with one or more informational
>    handouts and maybe inexpensive Linux-ish take-aways.

More important than DVDs or informational handouts is the question what to
show. At the BeLUG event the visitors can compare 5+ different desktop
environments and I give s short talk (15 minutes) several times during the
event about the most important differences between Windows and Linux.

We also cover certain topics with dedicated demonstration systems, e.g.
virtualization (KVM / Virtualbox and WINE), gaming and using old hardware with
Linux only for security-critical tasks.

In Germany we get 1500 free Linux magazines for each event. The visitors love
to get a free magazine (but they would have coume without that, too).

> * coordinating with other local Linux groups.

There will be a US orga group that would get in touch with you if you decide
to have an LPD event. Of course, one of you could support the nationwide
organizing, too. Having such an organzing group (especially a good one) makes
a huge difference for the overall success of the event (quality of the event,
amount of media coverage, number of locations).

CU

Hauke
--
http://www.linux-presentation-day.org/

International phone contact for the Linux Presentation Day:
     tel:+49-30-55579620 (13:00–23:00, German and English)

XMPP (Chat with OTR): linux-presentation-day at jabber.ccc.de
   OTR: 91626899 1C06F2BD 75EC2441 35C696CE 38F75997