[sf-lug] More notes on Slackware and relateds

aaronco36 aaronco36 at linuxwaves.com
Tue Dec 6 10:37:15 PST 2016

Quoting Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> from [01]:
> The proprietary Google Chrome Web browser does indeed come with a Flash
> interpreter, called Pepper Flash.  The neat thing about _that_, however,
> is that a bunch of clever people have put together slick, bundled ways
> of inserting the Pepper Flash interpreter code into _Chromium_.

> Chromium is the genuinely open source, base Web browser of which Google
> Chrome is a proprietary offshoot.  Unlike Google Chrome, which may be
> lawfully distributed only by Google, Inc., Chromium is packaged and
> maintained by essentially all Linux distributions, so it really _ought_
> to be routinely present on all Linux desktop systems alongside Firefox.

Well, it turns out that Eric Hameleers a.k.a. "Alien"/"AlienBOB"[02] has
made available Slackware SlackBuilds[03] for both Chromium[04] +and+
for the Chromium Pepper Plug-in API (PPAPI) flash plugin[05].
A caveat here from [06] and [07] is that the _library_ for this
PepperFlash PPAPI plugin for Chromium is actually extracted from a
Google Chrome RPM, and therefore plugin users _must_ accept the
bundled license file [08][09] if they want to use this
closed-source plugin.
Therefore, while "Chromium is the genuinely open source, base Web
browser of which Google Chrome is a proprietary offshoot", the
Pepper Flash PPAPI plugin for Chromium, OTOH, is _closed-source_
(at least for Eric H's SlackBuild for Slackware :|)

Another Slackware-related development of interest is that the
Slackware ARM on a Raspberry Pi project (SARPi) [10][11] fairly
recently came out with Slackware 14.2 installer images based
upon the 4.4.30 linux kernel [12] for the Raspberry Pi 3B [13].
Given that the falling prices of 16GB and 32GB microSD cards
are currently approaching the prices of USB thumbdrives of
similar capacities, it makes sense to me that people wishing
to try different Linux distros on their RPi 3's can more
easily dedicate a separate distro for _each_ of several
microSD cards that they may purchase, e.g., SARPi from [12]
on one microSD card, the latest Debian Jessie-based Raspbian
image from [14] on another, and the latest ArchLinuxARM-rpi-2
from [15] (using instructions from [16]) on a third.

Pretty nifty, huh?

-A