[sf-lug] Notes of the SF-LUG meeting on 2016-12-04 at Cafe Enchante..

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Dec 5 23:10:32 PST 2016

Quoting aaronco36 (aaronco36 at linuxwaves.com):

> IIRC, Jim S was soliciting some feedback from others on
> resolving a difficulty getting a Twitter audio/video feed
> to effectively play in his browser. I suggested that he
> maybe try installing (or re-installing) the
> flashplayer-plugin or flashplayer browser add-on. I think
> there was some talk as well between Jim S and Ken about
> possibly using the Chrome browser to play the Twitter
> audio/video feed(s).

The proprietary Google Chrome Web browser does indeed come with a Flash
interpreter, called Pepper Flash.  The neat thing about _that_, however,
is that a bunch of clever people have put together slick, bundled ways
of inserting the Pepper Flash interpreter code into _Chromium_.

Chromium is the genuinely open source, base Web browser of which Google
Chrome is a proprietary offshoot.  Unlike Google Chrome, which may be
lawfully distributed only by Google, Inc., Chromium is packaged and
maintained by essentially all Linux distributions, so it really _ought_
to be routinely present on all Linux desktop systems alongside Firefox.

For any choice of Linux distro, Web-search...

   'Pepper Flash' chromium  [yourdistro]

...to find out how to retrofit Pepper Flash into Chromium on your
distro.

PS:  And put out the word:  Friends don't let friends use Flash.  ;-> )

PPS:  Before people stopped caring about Adobe's (formerly Macromedia's)
deliberately underdocumented and performance/stability-robbing Flash
language, several open source interpreters arose that implemented all of
the openly documented Flash language calls and everything else that
could be reverse-engineered:  Gnash, Lightspark, Shumway, and Swfdec.
https://wiki.debian.org/Flash#Flash_Players_.28browser_plugins.29