[sf-lug] SF-LUG Meets Monday, November 21, 2016 at Cafe Enchante...

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Nov 14 11:02:02 PST 2016

Hi LUGers,

   SF-LUG meets every third Monday from 6 P.M. to 8 P.M.
and  every first Sunday from 11 A.M. to 1 P.M.
at the Cafe Enchante, 26th and Geary Boulevard.

     These meetings are usually lightly attended with a high for the
year so far of 7 members.   If you have a problem come along
and maybe we can help but if not we can usually find someone
who can.

   Show up early and you may have a better chance of getting
some attention to your agenda i.e. problem or discovery.

On Wednesday, November 09, 2016, I was able to get the
Linux Pro Magazine with its official celebration of the
Twenty-fifth (25) Anniversary of Linux.  Actually Linus
Torvalds is not sure of the actual date of release but
there is a long interview about the earlier days.

     LP has an article on some Linux distributions lost to
time and practicality.  Suicide Linux for example wiped
every thing if you typed any  command wrong.  Some are
actually current still such as GoboLinux. Others were
aimed at specific markets such as Satanic Linux
for the heavy metal fans, Bieber Linux for the fans
of the once popular Justin, and Hannah Montana
Linux for the others,  It gives the history of commie
Linuxes for Cuba, North Korea, and China and a lot
of other distributions no longer quite so popular.

     The disk of the month is not a Linux Distribution
but a complete compilation of Linux Pro magazines
in a searchable data base.

     Fedora 25 is supposed to be out on November 15.
I will try to have a version ready if it is released
on time.  I will try for an install on the Dell.

     I still have the latest Knoppix 7.7.1 available
as well as GParted and Clonezilla.  On Friday
the 11th of November I  downloaded copies of
Q4OS 1.8 (Orion) featuring Trinity 14.0.4 as
the DE, for the i686-pae and x64 architecture desktop.
Trinity started with KDE 3.5 and forked on its way,
Orion claims a 5 year support life and automatic
updates.  It uses Debian 8.6 as a base and has 2
or 3 package managers.

     Like PCLinuxOS Baby Mate, I have installed the
the Q4OS x64 on the Dell and if it works out will be
demonstrating it at the next meeting. Otherwise
I will have to demonstrate it live from the cds.

     As you may recall from my last report the
PCLOS Baby Mate failed after updates which
is why I am somewhat doubtful about Q4OS.

     Hope to see some members at the Cafe
next Monday

     Bobbie Sellers