[sf-lug] Report on the SF-LUG meeting at Cafe Enchante of Monday, October 17, 2016

maestro maestro415 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 20:21:18 PDT 2016

>>Maestro has a notebook with Linux Mint installed which has been
>>behaving badly when he tries to save pages from the net.  Before we were
>>done talking at the end of we decided it might be a unwonted side effect
 >>of Firejail with which M. has been experimenting.

ahhh...HUH? don't know where you got THAT from or how???
wow. it would be lost in translation but was never said. moving on...

>>Calamares installer and it has some shortcomings
>>so that we were unable to figure out how to create
>>an Extended partition for his Manjaro install.

ahhh...no. YOU were unable to figure it out. i was fine
continuing with calamares you were uncomfortable with
it so i asked if you'd be more comfortable using gparted.

i also wanted to see how you do your partitioning since you
talk about doing it all the time and others may come to  meetings
to get help and/or learn how to partition different things...

wow. ahhh...no. just going to leave that @ no.

>>Mainly I coached him on the use of GPartEd to
>>create partitions for the eventual install.

ahhh...no. i know how to use gparted and you were very flustered
you couldn't get the partitions the way i was saying them with a very
'vanilla' manager.

>>Sometimes I took over the use of the tool

because i let you and wanted to see you DO it.

>>to demonstrate the use of the GUI to re-size partitions.

i was using typeface entry you wanted to slide the pretty pictures around
and got flustered at me typing the actually calculated numbers.

>>These GUI tools are easy for me to use since I have been
>>using GUI tools for over 25 years

ahhh...hmmm...can't go to the video as there isn't one.
but no.

>>but these tools are not really
>>intuitive as Maestro and myself discussed for a few minutes.

with some aspects yes. especially for such a 'vanilla' program which
MANY new users are encouraged to use, won't read the documentation
first, or UNMOUNT the drives they want/need to partition.

i DID become tired and like a jackass initially suggested using my distro
installed gparted which is...well...just dumb being that it would open from
a mounted active partition. i quickly realized my dumbass thought and
digressed.

as per the rest of the 'report'...ahhh...wow.

but hey! @ least you and i were THERE.

message ends.

--

*~the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear...*