[sf-lug] Report on the SF-LUG meeting at Cafe Enchante of Monday, October 17, 2016

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Thu Oct 20 10:19:33 PDT 2016

Hi LUGers,

          5:30PM setting up at the Cafe Enchante -no problems
I was able to take over the large table near the front of the
Cafe.
          5:40 PM Maestro arrived.  He was setting up his notebook
a few minutes later and wanted my assistance with a partitioning
problem.
          1800+ Tom(?) the Postman showed up and asked some
general questions.  Tom wants to move out of delivery services
and into Information Technology and was asking about the
value of coding Boot Camps as work preparation.

          1840 Shari Mann showed up and I spent about 40 minutes talking
to her.  I was attempting to explain how to get to tools in PCLinux0S
which with Jim's help I installed on her renovated tower about 2 months
back.  She left about 7:20 PM as her pet needed a break and care.
     To talk to her I needed to take a break from helping Maestro
which was a rather sleazy thing for me to do perhaps but which
to me seemed to be absolutely required by Shari's needs and her
  limited time.

     Maestro has a notebook with Linux Mint installed which has been
behaving badly when he tries to save pages from the net.  Before we were
done talking at the end of we decided it might be a unwonted side effect
  of Firejail with which M. has been experimenting.

     Meantime he wanted to split his nominal 80 Gigabyte hard
drivers and install Manjaro in the free space,  Manjaro uses Calamares
installer and it has some shortcomings  so that we were unable to figure
out how to create an Extended partition for his Manjaro install.

     We eventually got it ready to install but the Mint partitions seem to
have merged into one as a result of Firejail.   At least that is the way
it looked to GPartEd.  Mainly I coached him on the use of GPartEd to
create partitions for the eventual install. Sometimes I took over the use
of the tool to demonstrate the use of the GUI to re-size partitions.
     These GUI tools are easy for me to use since I have been
using GUI tools for over 25 years but these tools are not really
intuitive as Maestro and myself discussed for a few minutes.

     About 7:45 I started to pack up but was willing to stick by
Maestro until he had enough of configuration.
     About 8 PM or so we were out of the Cafe and I went home
via the #38 to Hyde Street.

     ==================================

     Our discussion of the partitioning tools was interesting but
I had now answer for how I would get drakdisk which is a part
of the drakxtools used in Mandriva/Mandrake forks.  I started
thinking about this and will have by the next meeting a
partial solution and perhaps an easier to use tool than
GPartEd.  I say perhaps because I am no judge of other
people's capabilities in this regard.

     The next meeting at Cafe Enchante will be on
Sunday November 6, 2016. Expect my usual announcement
of the next meeting on October 31.
     Don't forget to fall back an hour on your time-keeping
devices on the 5th of November.

     Have a Happy Halloween!

     Bobbie Sellers