[sf-lug] A command short enough to be tweeted can bring down systemd

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Sat Oct 8 14:50:17 PDT 2016

On 10/08/2016 02:06 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting mandog (kelvinat at gmail.com):
>
>> All systems are hackable 13 year old kids do it all the time....
> I'm perfectly OK with your giving up completely on seeking system
> reliability and security.  Some of us have not.
>
>> so what is the point of your post except  for stirring shit.
> The point of my post is to benefit the Linux community, which is the
> same reason I make this entire mailing list possible on my server.
>
>> Sorry but I say it as it is nothing personal.
> If I had a nickel for every time some net.random made a lazy-ass attempt
> at personal slur and then immediately followed up with 'nothing
> personal' -- usually carefully from behind cover of nameless
> pseudonymity -- I'd have a heck of a pile of nickels.

         Well unlike mandog (kelvinat at gmail.com): I see the point of
your post.

     It might be nice to have an un-hackable and bullet-proof system but
at the
present stage of development of consumer computers and the activities they
are used for it will be extremely difficult.

     I can foresee a multiple OS system with an semi-smart AI dedicated
to the
maintenance of system integrity of one system that would be the interface
to all sorts of communication, from the keyboard and mouse to the Internet
and whatever it may develop into sort of a super firewall on the AI
side. But
you need a third system running from Firmware keeping track of the
  integrity of the AI.

     As to the hack-ability of the present consumer systems it is a
point in the
favor of Linux.  We have had to learn how to deal with the Microsoft
Secure Boot
in one way or another and if they make it less hackable we immediately
raise an outcry against MS intrusion into what we consider our decision
space.

      Thanks for all you do, Rick,

         Bobbie Sellers