[sf-lug] stupid password sites (reinventing the wheel, poorly)

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Fri Oct 7 23:02:14 PDT 2016

Speaking of reinventing the wheel poorly:
Password: Must not be a dictionary word
And, the password I tried to set?:
l+zZu3q55`$8!{dk
And, you wonder why folks often end up picking poor passwords.
Well, when sites stubbornly and stupidly reject perfectly good
fine secure passwords, folks will often resort to poor passwords.
Okay, it's not a good password *now* that it's been publicly posted,
etc.  But, prior to that it was.  And I don't know what crack they're
smokin', but I'm sure they ain't got that in no dictionary - at least
certainly not before my posting it here.  Geez.  This is 2016.
This it the kind'a misbehavior I'd expect from a web site done in like
1996 or so.  Two decades later you'd think they'd stop doing such
stupid stuff.  The problem has long since been solved, yet folks keep
screwing it up with stupid web sites that get it wrong.