[sf-lug] Browser-based phishing stuff

aaronco36 aaronco36 at linuxwaves.com
Mon Sep 12 11:07:14 PDT 2016

Re: An unpleasant experience

Michael Paoli <Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu wrote:

> About the only time I've typically not been able
> to do that, has been when X - or video - totally wigs
> out to such a degree that I can't even switch to
> another virtual console ... ........

> Fortunately pretty dang rare these days I have X / video
> wig out that badly on me ... probably been several years
> or more since the last time I had something like that occur.

Actually, I've had fairly poor experiences where
X / video *really did* "wig out that badly on me" on a
surprisingly *regular* basis; with the Mozilla-compatible
Palemoon browser. As the Palemoon homepage [1]
describes this browser
--- quoting ---
Pale Moon is an open source Goanna-based web browser
forked off from Firefox/Mozilla code, focusing on
efficiency and ease of use by carefully selecting features
and optimizations, having a fully customizable user
interface, with its own growing number of extensions
and themes while still maintaining compatibility with
many Firefox extensions as well.
-----------------

Back in the Spring of this year, I've had Palemoon
"wig out" so badly while running videos that X
completely locked up and I kept receiving "SIGSEGV,
Segmentation fault" messages on the originating
console.
This/these bug(s) are the exact make-or-break ones
described at the MoonchildProductions/Pale-Moon
GitHub site [2] that has kept me away from Palemoon
since then.
And yes, I've certainly been aware of Palemoon's
Known issues [3].

YMMV with X / video "wigging out" from Palemoon :/

-A

=== Refs ===
[1]http://linux.palemoon.org/
[2]https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/Pale-Moon/issues/418