[sf-lug] Linux Kernel Advancements

Sujit K M kmsujit at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 08:53:39 PDT 2016

>     Whether they are very stable or not will be determined by us
> people who end up using them.  Long term support is up into
> the higher 4.6 or 4.7 but 4.8 is on the way.

I saw an -rc in 4.8 which I thought meant a stable release. Also
as you mentioned there will be there in a short while.

>     As to why the numbers advanced so rapidly it was because
> Linus Torvalds thought the long version numbers were a drag.
>  It looked as though little progress was being made despite
> frequent updates and security fixes.  So at one point he
> decreed the next version was 3.0 then a year or so later to 4.x.
>     Certain distributions use older kernels for whatever reason.
> Probably to avoid problems with older tools.

This might be semantic reasons, But what I really want to know is
if None of the distros by default give a linux kernel version 3.18 and above
How should a naive user get to test. That is the reason I pointed
out in my #1 and #2 why backporting is bad, You might be leaving
an ignorant user in an kernel version that might or already would have
reached EOL. There might be users who buy an Centos 6 CD now with
a 2.6 Kernel which all them seem to have reached EOL.

>      You seem to be a bit behind the news but have you ever
> read Distrowatch Weekly newsletter or bought a Linux magazine
> in recent times?  Linux news is easy to find at places like
> Linux Weekly News, Linux Planet, Linux Today, and Linux.com.

Or better Join the Debian/Centos/OpenSUSE mailing lists you will
get better knowledge with good trouble shooting and problem solving
skills. I was till 2015 in these mailing lists but other priorities took
over and might have reduced my latest knowledge on these kernels.