[sf-lug] MEGA Invitation

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jul 28 21:40:09 PDT 2016

Quoting Jim Stockford (jim at well.com):

> thanks for the info.

Umm... I was hoping for 'Yes, OK, I'll do that.'  ;->

> just to note: my approach is to checking the box above the list of
> waiting messages to discard all being held... box,

You can do that if you want -- but it's something of a waste of time.  The spam
will expire out automatically without you do anything.  Which is my
basic advice.  Do that checkbox ('Discard all messages marked Defer')
and hit the 'Submit All Data' button -- the ones at either the top or
bottom of the page -- if you _happen_ to have gone to the admin page for
other reasons, and for some reason wish to empty the queue.  But point
is, it's a waste of time going to the page _just_ to empty the queue.

> Then I scroll down verifying the one-time-only fake names to the
> bottom, where I check the discard...  box then click submit.

Yeah, well, please do _not_ check the discard... box.   I assume you
mean this:

   [ ] Add izswigrgz at bbjjdtpwj.org to one of these sender filters:
   ( ) Accepts  ( ) Holds  ( ) Rejects  (o) Discards

Please do _not_ check the checkbox to the left of the word 'add'.
This gums up Mailman's filtering tasks with pointless discard rules for
fake e-mail addresses.

In the rare case where the (inevitably forged) claim 'From:' address is
that of a real person, you would be doing worse damage:  Given that a
real innocent person's address was probably forged, your adding that
person to a to-be-discarded roster hurts someone who did nothing wrong,
for no benefit.

So, basically, don't use that feature unless you're quite sure you know
what you're doing.

> I understand correctly that that does not clog up Mailman, yes?

I'm sorry, but I am quite unsure by what you mean when you say 'that'.

Using the 'Add izswigrgz at bbjjdtpwj.org to one of these sender filters'
checkbox with '(o) Discard' selected _does_ clog up Mailman.  Please
stop doing that.

It creates pointless work for Mailman, and does absolutely no good,
_and_ it wastes your time, too.

Basically:  That stuff I said under 'Short version':  Please do that.
Thanks!  It's really that simple.

If you grokked that, then 'Yes, OK, I'll do that' would be a nice thing.
If the 'Short version' wasn't comprehensible, please advise.

> About a year ago I did click some names telling Mailman to disallow
> (drop) them, but after a few days, it occurred to me that I was
> probably making Mailman check inbound From: fields to no effect, so I
> discontinued doing that.

'Names'?  Possibly you mean e-mail addresses?

If you mean e-mail addresses, thank you for discontinuing that.
But FWIW, there were hundreds of e-mail addresses in the to-be-discarded
roster.  Almost all completely pointless, at best.

> Here's header info for the email

You know, this appears to be the spam mail that everyone's already seen,
the one that that transited the mailing list and bore a non-subscribed
address ('support at mega.nz') as the From: address.  I already had that --
it's what made me raise the alert about something odd going on.

> (Note at the bottom that  lu4  seems to be sending
> email invitations.)

Indeed.  lu4's evidently a host at mega.nz.  And?

That mail should not have been accepted for redelivery to the
subscribers, as it was from non-subscribed alleged sender
'support at mega.nz'.  That would land it in the admin queue, whence it
would expire out five days later unless manually processed (approved,
discarded, rejected) by a listadmin.