[sf-lug] WIFI set-up

maestro maestro415 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 14:01:32 PDT 2016

quoting bobbie s. [clarifying]
>>If I had the income I would bring along a local router which would permit
connecting
to the local WiFi and provide a better firewall.

just clarifying i'm seeking software responses (and yes, i wasn't specific
about that.)
of course one can use phones,wifi adapters, honeypot devices et.al...
i'm looking for what folks are doing 'in distro'.
sans SSH and VPN and/or requiring external hardware or remote software
configuration(s).
one can simply SSH to a droid phone or another server.
i should have been more clear about that, my bad.

message ends.
___________________

On Sun, Apr 17, 2016 at 11:12 AM, Bobbie Sellers <
bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com> wrote:

> On 04/17/2016 10:26 AM, maestro wrote:
>
>> this is a* set-up* query *NOT* a problem solving or troubleshooting query.
>>
>> it will be great for as many folks as possible to respond to:
>> how do you set-up your linux distro (and which distro are you running?) to
>> connect *SECURELY *to all public and shared wifi networks (with shared
>> passwd)?
>>
>     I have more stringent firewall rules in my roaming configuration,  I
> don't know
> what else can be done with my available income.   I avoid using totally
> open
> public WiFi as seen on Market Street,
>     I am using Mageia 5.
>     If I had the income I would bring along a local router which would
> permit connecting
> to the local WiFi and provide a better firewall.
>

>> what configurations do you do and/or software do you run to keep
>> 'trolls/assholes' from knocking you off wifi connections?
>>
>     Not the faintest idea.
>

>> as stated above this relates to networks *outside* your own in your home.
>>
>> and this is relating to configurations you don't have to change, you set
>> it
>> up and that's it.
>>

>     Go for tight rules on your roaming configuration is all I can say.
> Mageia has its own
> firewall.
>

>> thanks for participating and contributing...
>>

>     Hope it helps.  PCLinux 2016 in a 32 bit configuration  will
> provide the same facility.  Mageia 5 is already way behind 2016.03.
> Magiea 6 dev1 is still getting nightly updates.
>
>     bliss

*~the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear...*