[sf-lug] WIFI set-up

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Sun Apr 17 11:21:00 PDT 2016

On 04/17/2016 11:12 AM, Bobbie Sellers wrote:

> On 04/17/2016 10:26 AM, maestro wrote:
>> this is a* set-up* query *NOT* a problem solving or troubleshooting
>> query.
>>
>> it will be great for as many folks as possible to respond to:
>> how do you set-up your linux distro (and which distro are you
>> running?) to
>> connect *SECURELY *to all public and shared wifi networks (with shared
>> passwd)?
>     I have more stringent firewall rules in my roaming configuration,
> I don't know
> what else can be done with my available income.   I avoid using
> totally open
> public WiFi as seen on Market Street,
>     I am using Mageia 5.
>     If I had the income I would bring along a local router which would
> permit connecting
> to the local WiFi and provide a better firewall.
>>
>> what configurations do you do and/or software do you run to keep
>> 'trolls/assholes' from knocking you off wifi connections?
>     Not the faintest idea.
>>
>> as stated above this relates to networks *outside* your own in your
>> home.
>>
>> and this is relating to configurations you don't have to change, you
>> set it
>> up and that's it.
>
>     Go for tight rules on your roaming configuration is all I can
> say.  Mageia has its own
> firewall.
>>
>> thanks for participating and contributing...
>>

>     Hope it helps.  PCLinux 2016 in a 32 bit configuration  will
> provide the same facility.  Mageia 5 is already way behind 2016.03.
> Magiea 6 dev1 is still getting nightly updates.
>
>     bliss

     Was looking at something else and found this.
A project to build a router.  Maybe it could be made portable?
By portable i mean small and light running from battery via
the computer USB or on its own.

     bliss
<http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/04/the-ars-guide-to-building-a-linux-router-from-scratch/>