[sf-lug] WIFI set-up

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Sun Apr 17 11:12:12 PDT 2016

On 04/17/2016 10:26 AM, maestro wrote:
> this is a* set-up* query *NOT* a problem solving or troubleshooting query.
>
> it will be great for as many folks as possible to respond to:
> how do you set-up your linux distro (and which distro are you running?) to
> connect *SECURELY *to all public and shared wifi networks (with shared
> passwd)?
     I have more stringent firewall rules in my roaming configuration,
I don't know
what else can be done with my available income.   I avoid using totally open
public WiFi as seen on Market Street,
     I am using Mageia 5.
     If I had the income I would bring along a local router which would
permit connecting
to the local WiFi and provide a better firewall.

> what configurations do you do and/or software do you run to keep
> 'trolls/assholes' from knocking you off wifi connections?
     Not the faintest idea.

> as stated above this relates to networks *outside* your own in your home.
>
> and this is relating to configurations you don't have to change, you set it
> up and that's it.

     Go for tight rules on your roaming configuration is all I can say.
Mageia has its own
firewall.

> thanks for participating and contributing...

     Hope it helps.  PCLinux 2016 in a 32 bit configuration  will
provide the same facility.  Mageia 5 is already way behind 2016.03.
Magiea 6 dev1 is still getting nightly updates.

     bliss