[sf-lug] resolver problem

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Apr 8 18:48:51 PDT 2016

Oh, also, Bobbie, there was one other thing:

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):
> On 04/08/2016 11:41 AM, Rick Moen wrote:
>
> > Programs often update dotfile conffiles and directories on the user's
> > behalf, e.g., if you store a bookmark in Firefox, it will get written to
> > a bookmarks.html file inside directory tree ~/.firefox or ~/.mozilla or
> > somewhere like that.
>
> Not really.  Firefox uses another format to store its bookmarks.

OK, so let's see if I can put you in your shoes.

You know that I've been running Linux for decades.  You know that I've
been runing a Web server and creating Web pages for decades.  You might
be aware of writings and lectures I've created on the subject.  You can
reasonably suppose that I've known Firefox for Linux all the time it's
existed.  (In fact, I followed the entire history of Netscape and
Mozilla browsers all the way back to the beginning.)

Knowing all that, you decided I must be wrong, and felt compelled to say
so.

The possibility of different versions didn't occur to you.  The concept
that I might be ls'ing the local Firefox dotfile directory and seeing it
_right there, right then_ didn't occur to you.

No, the only possible solution is that my assertion was in error and
needed to be corrected.  Not, 'Hmm, my Firefox stores it as a JSON
directory.  Maybe you are running a newer or older version?'  Instead,
just 'Firefox uses another format to store its bookmarks.'

Now, take a guess:  Was that just a bit offensive?

I considered posting 'Are you willing to bet $100 that my Firefox
installation stores bookmarks in bookmarks.html?  Instead, I calmly
explained to you the concept of changes in browser functions over time.

You're welcome.