[sf-lug] Usenet 2.0 (was Suspicious email from LinuxMafia)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Mar 10 19:56:30 PST 2016

Quoting GoOSSBears (acohen36 at linuxwaves.com):

> Maybe GNU Social[1] can replace or has already replaced the
> Usenet newsgroups?

Um, the open-source unbranded Twitter coded in PHP, right?  Evan Prodromou
is a good friend of mine, and I remember when he released it:  Laconica,
primary instance at identi.ca.  Later renamed StatusNet, later EOLed but
then merged with Free Social to make GNU Social.

First, if I ever voluntarily have public-facing PHP again, just kill me
to put me out of my misery.  Bloody security disaster.   Beat me, flay
me, make me run WordPress.  Also, really?  128 characters per message
is like netnews?

Is this where I get to make a joke about Millennials?  ;->

<still_has_flu><grumpy>
I have a better idea:  The best successor to netnews is... netnews.
Not broken.  Doesn't need to be fixed.
</grumpy></still_has_flu>

> [...] Diaspora [...]

I know you weren't at all touting it, Aaron, so this is very much not a
critique of you.

When I see people use Diaspora as a point of comparison, I think 'Wow,
that's setting the bar so low you can't even limbo under it.'
Hopelessly undesigned.  I remember when it got pointed out that Diaspora
is totally helpless against spamming, and against all other forms of
security compromise, the devs said 'Yeah, we figured we'd go back and
add those later.'

(All-righty, then.  Good luck, guys.)

> OTOH, GNU Social's use of PHP[5] isn't _universally_ approved[6] :-/.
> [6]https://eev.ee/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/

You are a man of rare taste and discernment, my good fellow.

We need more like this guy.  See if he can be cloned, in the name of
science!

--
Rick Moen               "Throw small projectiles at your copy editor now and
rick at linuxmafia.com     then.  A jumpy copy editor is an accurate copy editor."