[sf-lug] /the.neighbors.suck

Ken Shaffer kenshaffer80 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 17:28:37 PST 2016

Hi Maestro,
I don't have any experience with W10, but did a W8 dual boot with Ubuntu
14.04.  Are these UEFI machines with GPT partitioning tables (probably if
W10 came installed on them)?  First check that the Windows partitions are
"basic" and not "dynamic".  You'll need to convert them if they are
"dynamic" (some sort of Microsoft LV).  Never had to do that myself,
fortunately.  Now with basic partitions (assuming GPT, so no
primary/logical worries), shrink a partition, then run the Microsoft chkdsk
a few times.  Make sure the W10 shutdown is really a shutdown, not a
hibernate (a power option on W8).  The gotcha here is that I don't believe
that the W10 shutdown is really a shutdown, because it boots up in 8
seconds directly (18 seconds through grub on a USB).
  Most issues from this point are machine specific.  Vendors who follow the
UEFI spec allow Ubuntu to install perfectly in UEFI mode with secure boot
on.  After the install, you will need to disable secure boot to allow
Ubuntu's grub to boot W10, but the workaround is to use the EFI boot
selection to select Windows and then you may leave secure boot enabled.
Machine specific issues:
* Can you set the boot order with USB first and have it persist after the
USB is removed (or changed)?
* Can you even boot USB in UEFI mode? Worst case, you can't, and will need
to install in legacy mode, then later install the necessary grub-efi-amd
packages.
* Does you machine firmware require specific names/labels on the Ubuntu
boot files (yeah, like "Windows Boot Loader")?  You might need to rename
the bootloaders, and give them fake nvram names to get them to boot.
Another trick is to put the Ubuntu bootloaders (shimx64.efi) into
/EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi, which sometimes is checked after a failure, before
the next boot entry in order is tried.  grubx64.efi needs to be in the same
directory.  Using shim as the bootx64.efi allows boot with either secure
boot enabled or disabled.
* Video -- you said nothing about any hardware, but video problems are very
common with any proprietary hardware.
* Wireless -- As usual, the newer the hardware, the more problems.

Some reading (somewhat dated, but parts still applicable):
http://askubuntu.com/questions/221835/installing-ubuntu-on-a-pre-installed-windows-8-64-bit-system-uefi-supported
Ken