[sf-lug] writing styles/improvements on code examples, etc.

jim jim at well.com
Wed Feb 10 10:55:53 PST 2016

     When writing email responses to a MailMan group list,
keep lines of text below about 70 characters.

     I copied one line of text from the sf-lug archive.
     The line is within the " characters. The entirety
looks good in my editor. My guess is that many of you
will see an apparent line wrap at around the comma
after the word like.

     The command(s) below show that the seeming wrap point
is at the 74th character (or so).

$ echo "  E.g. (I won't do or outline a whole flow chart or the like,
I'll leave " | wc
       1      15      74

Note that
1. I used browser to see the sf-lug archive email message
2. I used the copy function in the browsers menu system
    to copy the single line.
3. I brought up a terminal window and typed in echo "
4. I used the paste function in the terminal windows menus
5. After the copied line appeared I typed " | wc and then
    hit the  <ENTER>  key.
6. the  echo  command sent its output to the  wc  program
    which reported that it got 1 line and 15 words and 74
    characters.

     One trick I've used is to put the following string
in my ASCII text files

012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789

     The above is sixty characters (six sets of 0123456789).