[sf-lug] ANALYSYS--EXPLANATION Re: request for help re ssh -- sshd login failure

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Feb 10 00:18:15 PST 2016

Quoting Jim Stockford (jim at well.com):

> I try to explain each command in my comments, interspersed below.

I appreciate the effort you go do, in constructing that interspersion:
I'm guesssing you are doing that entirely manually, which implies a
semi-heroic editing effort.

I see you use Mozilla Thunderbird.  Back when I used Thunderbird for
corporate mail, I found that it did decent quoting automatically but
that its internal text editor was lacking.  I used a Thunderbrd
extension that permitted use of any arbitrary external editor, and then
just used vim as that editor.  These days, there is an all-in-one
solution called Muttator, which you can find here:
http://www.vimperator.org/muttator

FWIW, though I greatly appreciate the work you put into manual
construction of replies, please consider using automated tools such as
Muttator, which would probably greately reduce the amount of work for
you _and_ render your repsonse messages more legible.  Alas, I find that
the lack of line breaks in your replies and your extremely unclear and
eccentric style of quoting to be very difficult to parse at all, Jim.

I certainly didn't want to create offencce, and so haven't been saying
anything about this, but IMO it's a significant deterrent against even
trying to parse your replies.