[sf-lug] Mageia-4 to Mageia-5 upgrade fails to recognize keyboard on 64 bit Origin laptop (was: Linux question)

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Sun Jan 10 22:47:13 PST 2016

Start with the subject - Linux is redundantly implied by scope of list,
question could be more concise or implied (a single "?" could cover that).
So ... your Subject: has essentially one character of useful information.  ;-)
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#bespecific
Lots more good suggestions on that web page (e.g. like more information
on what you found, tried, results of your searches for the answer, etc.)

I might suggest, among other possibilities:
If Mageia-5 has a "live" version, boot that, see if the problem is
seen there (sounds
like you may have covered that with the "installation program" -
whatever that is).
Likewise try with Mageia-4 "live" version - if that exists (or perhaps
installer or
whatever).  Did you have the keyboard issues at all earlier with Mageia-4?
Was that an install from scratch on Mageia-4, or was that an upgrade from
something else?
Also try other bootable Linux, e.g. "live" versions - is the problems
seen also
there, or not, and with booting what?
For those that work, what can you discover about how it detects the keyboard?
Is it some type of USB device (I think most are).  What do the relevant USB
commands indicate on those where it's detected and works?  How does
that compare
to installed version where the keyboard doesn't work?
What about command line?  Is this only an issue under X, or does text console
give you same problem?  If it's only under X, it's not a *keyboard* issue or
issue between the guts of the OS itself, and keyboard, but rather one with
X or configuration thereof, etc.