[sf-lug] Linux question

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Sun Jan 10 22:35:31 PST 2016

On 01/10/2016 10:12 PM, Donald F. Robertson wrote:
> I´ḿ stumped, and I´m hoping someone can help me.
>
> I recently upgraded from Mageia-4 to Mageia-5 on a standard x86 architecture
> 64 bit Origin laptop.  The upgrade appeared to go well, however Mageia-5 would
> not recognize the laptop´s keyboard, although it did recognize this external
> keyboard.  I was unable to find a solution.
>
> This afternoon, I tried installing from scratch without the external keyboard
> attached.  No dice.  Interestingly, the installation program did not recognize
> the laptop keyboard either.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> I´d be very grateful for any suggestions.  I am very familiar with the K-
> desktop, but my ¨under the hood¨ command line skills are limited.
     Hi Donald,
         Glad to hear from another Mageia user.
         Ok I would go to the manufacturer's web site and try to find the
designation for the keyboard,
     Now apparently it worked under Magiea 4 so if all else fails try to use
a live version and figure out how it configured itself keyboard wise.
     IF you can find out the designation,
     Startup the System Settings and go to Hardware/Input devices/Keyboard
On the first page you should see Keyboard_Model with a requester next to
it with the keyboard model listed and opposite it at the other end of
the line
a way to check the other keyboards versions available.

     In the worst case i.e. cannot find the model version used,
count the number of keys on the keyboard and try the generic keyboard
that matches most closely.

     You might try loading a live version of Knoppix or any other KDE using
live distribution and looking in the System setting to see what it picks.

     Hope this all helps.
     Bobbie Sellers

> --
> Donald F. Robertson
> San Francisco
>
> DonaldFR at DonaldFRobertson.com
> www.DonaldFRobertson.com
>
> The known is finite, the unknown is infinite; intellectually we stand on an
> islet in the midst of an illimitable ocean of inexplicability. Our business in
> every generation is to reclaim a little more land.   -- Thomas Huxley
>
> Sent from my OriginPC - Mageia Linux via KMail.
                 Sent from my HP Pavilion Mageia 5 via Thunderbird 38.5.0