[sf-lug] sf-lug.{com,info} --> www.sf-lug.org (canonical)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jan 8 14:03:04 PST 2016

> Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:
>
>      danielg4@[REDACTED]
>
> Technical details of permanent failure:
> Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server
> for the recipient domain [REDACTED] by linuxmafia.com.
> [198.144.195.186].
>
> The error that the other server returned was:
> 550 relay not permitted

Is the FQDN referred to here as [REDACTED] mapped to my IP in DNS?
You don't say.

Do I have to explain why '550 relay not permitted' _is_ the correct SMTP
error, here?  I'm guessing you didn't bother to point the target
domain's DNS at my IP, with the result that my MTA quite reasonably
assumed you were trying to use my host as an open relay to reach a
_different_ IP, and said 'no'.

You know what open relaying is, and why we are at great pains to not do
it any more, right?

I'd rather not have this be yet another exercise in 'Let's assign Rick
homework to compensate for the fact that we don't know what we're doing'.
;->  And, honestly, you have shell on linuxmafia.com, so how about _you_
saying what if any steps need to occur, there?

(FWIW, I've grepped through exim4's conffiles, and it looks like the MTA
doesn't care what it's addressed as.  You could have done this check,
yourself.)

If you wish to do a test, map an FQDN in public DNS to that IP.  Make
sure that DNS propagates so that, e.g., my DNS doesn't have an earlier
IP in cache.  Then try to send mail to danielg4@[FQDN] .

If that works, then I can run /var/lib/mailman/bin/new_list to create
scratch mailing list test2@[FQDN] -- attempting to do this without
establishing a separate [FQDN] mailing list namespace.  Then we send
that mailing list a test message, ensuring that it reaches Exim, Exim
hands it off to Mailman, Mailman records the message and sends it out to
subscribers.

That would be a sufficient test.