[sf-lug] How sf-lug.info ended up on the Network Solutions / Web.com account along with sf-lug.{org, com}

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Sat Jan 2 20:22:38 PST 2016

Well, looking at whois for the domain, and guestimating at least
approximately when, prior to that, things may have happened/changed -
apparently tracked down what happened.

Sometime after the sf-lug.{org,com} domain had retroactively expired -
apparently they were autorenewed on credit or debit card (at their full
list/book rate), that was apparently subsequently challenged *after*
the domains had been renewed but would have otherwise expired,
apparently through financial institution, charges were reversed by
financial institution, apparently then Network Solutions / Web.com then
put the account in bad standing and took over the domains for
themselves, pending restitution of what they'd earlier been paid but
had subsequently had the charges reversed (at least best I understand
it - also other things happened subsequent to that).  Anyway, while we
were trying to get that whole mess corrected, one of the things I did
in my attempts was to change the admin and/or contact email address(s)
on the account and/or domains to one I'd (also) receive (I did also
inform at least Jim of that at that time) - in hopes of fixing the mess
and/or getting the domains transferred - I wasn't successful in that
(though Asheesh was!  :-)).  In any case, working backwards from
sf-lug.info expiration time subtracting a year and searching around
there (which was subsequent to the sf-lug.{org,com} retroactive
expiration and such, and where I'd subsequently changed the email),
thought I'd dig and see if I had access to any such relevant mail
(Network Solutions / Web.com tends to send tons of "marketing" (spam!)
email (they also make it difficult to opt out of such - you actually
have to call them, and it takes many days before it takes effect - of
course on phone they'll try to sell you more of something).  Anyway,
did search and find the email (slightly redacted) below.

"Of course" they push it as a "service" to their customers.  It's
marginally (if at all) so.  It cost them something around like a dollar
to add the domain (if even that), and while they have it "parked", they
potentially gain significant ad revenue, and also get a feel (traffic)
for how valuable the domain may potentially be - to their customer(s)
and/or anyone else they might want to sell it off to.  What, you think
they were doing it out of the goodness of their hearts?  Anyway, with
that trace of introduction, here's that (slightly redacted) email
further below: