[sf-lug] What's the argument for sf-lug.* MX records?

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Sat Jan 2 10:44:43 PST 2016

I thought I covered that (probably more than) sufficiently.

In brief:
MX records - for sf-lug.TLD and/or SUBDOMAIN.sf-lug.TLD
where TLD would at least include org, and might also include com and info,
and SUBDOMAIN would likely be lists,
would most notably allow email to be sent to @[SUBDOMAIN.]sf-lug.TLD,
e.g. could have a list posting address of:
sf-lug at lists.sf-lug.org
which is a bit more intuitive and easier for users to use and remember, than:
sf-lug at linuxmafia.com

Oh, and among other advantages - one I forgot to mention earlier (below),
by using [SUBDOMAIN.]sf-lug.TLD,
it potentially allows relative independence of/from linuxmafia.com
E.g. if some day, Rick Moen were to be replaced with an evil space alien,
and refused to host SF-LUG list on linuxmafia.com, then SF-LUG would still
be able to continue hosting list(s) on [SUBDOMAIN.]sf-lug.TLD, without need
to change email address(es) or (if A/AAAA records also used) URL(s) (that's
also presuming SF-LUG had or could set up the list hosting resources
somewhere).

Anyway, the earlier bits below I think cover it pretty thoroughly
(maybe even in
too much and a bit redundant detail).  Feel free, anyone, to chime in
if you think
there are any quite substantial pro/con considerations I've not
already covered in
the below mentioned earlier plus the additional bit mentioned above.